The fragrant, cleansing aroma of oranges has been enjoyed for ages. Some people leave the rinds of oranges in the cars and houses for a natural deodorizer. While this method works just fine, it can get a little messy which is why many prefer to use an essential oil instead ( it is more versatile as well) .
Orange essential oil comes from the cells that are in the rind of orange fruit. This oil has numerous properties and can be used in all sorts of ways—from improving your mood to cleaning your toilet.
Use to clean—move over lemon, here comes orange!
- Clean your toilets (and sinks, tubs, and showers, too! ) Since Orange is a natural disinfectant with antibacterial properties, mix the essential oil with vinegar and several drops of orange essential oil and scrub! Add baking soda, too, if you’d like. Another quick tip for a fresh toiler, is pouring a few drops into your toilet tank for more aroma!
- Mix 10 drops of orange with 1 cup of water to wipe and disinfect kitchen counters, cutting boards, and your dining table. Dampen a sponge or rag to wipe down the areas or mix in a spray bottle and spray on surfaces before cleaning.
Improve mood, invigorate body and mind
- Orange is uplifting and the essential oils is used in aromatherapy to lift your spirits. Orange has the ability to help you feel relaxed and alert and the same time. It’s sometimes used for depression, as it promotes well-being and a sense of happiness.
- Add 6 drops of orange essential oil in your diffuser or put a few drops on a diffuser bracelet.
- Orange is an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant, making it a great choice to use for acne, anti-aging, and to cleanse your skin.
- Mix 3 drops of orange to a cup of water and use it to wash your face.
- To treat certain areas, put a couple of drops of orange with aloe vera gel on a cotton ball and dab onto blemishes and/or wrinkles.
Help with arthritis
- Orange’s anti-inflammatory properties can provide relief from the pain of arthritis and reduce swelling from chronic inflammation.
- Mix 10 drops with coconut oil and rub on the affected area.
Improve immune function
- Orange has powerful antioxidant properties. It fights free radicals, helps remove toxins from the body, and strengthen the body’s systems.
- Orange can also help treat or prevent colds and coughs.
- Add 6 drops of orange essential oil in your diffuser or put a few drops on diffuser jewelry.
- Orange disinfects and sterilizes cuts, scrapes, and insect bites. It kills bacteria.
- Add 10 drops of orange essential oil to a cup of water; apply to affected area.
- Orange has the ability to help calm the nervous system and relieve fatigue, both mentally and physically. Breathing in orange can reduce anxiety.
- Add a few drops of orange, or both orange and lavender, to your diffuser or bath water.
Some more helpful tips!
- Before using topically, mix with carrier oil and test a patch of your skin for sensitivity. Use a few drops of high quality essential oil per tablespoon of carrier oil, see link for all Vitality Extract Carrier oils.
- Also, keep in mind some citrus oils cause photosensitivity. Bitter orange is one of them, but sweet orange and blood orange are not.
- Try blending and diffusing orange with cinnamon and clove for the holidays, or with lemon or grapefruit for an uplifting, sunshiny day.
Orange essential oil is extremely useful and while you’re enjoying the invigorating aroma, you’ll be delighting in all its benefits.